- Frédérick Madore (Ottawa & Florida)
"'Muslim Intellectuals' and 'Francophone Salafis' in West Africa: New Religious Elites?"
October 1, 2020
- Ali Karjoo-Ravary (Bucknell)
"The Poet Kings of Islam"
October 15, 2020
- Kelly Hammond (Arkansas)
"Cold War Mosque: Asian Geopolitics, the Politicization of Religious Spaces, and the Taipei Mosque"
October 22, 2020
- Domenico Ingenito (UCLA), with Paul Losensky (IU) as respondent
"The Visible and the Invisible: The Role of the Internal Senses in Persian Sufi Poetry"
October 28, 2020
- Joint Annual Symposium: Islamic Economies
Aisalkyn Botoeva (GWU), "Halal Inequality? Discourses and Practices of the Islamic Economy in Central Asia."
Sufian Zhemukhov (GWU), "Hajj in Russia: State Policy and Industry Management."
Patricia Sloane-White (Delaware), "Corporate Islam: The Modern Malaysian Corporation as a 'Small Islamic State'."
Shariq Siddiqui (IUPUI), Discussant
October 30, 2020
- Claire-Marie Hefner (FSU)
"Women on the Digital Double Edge: Islamic Schools, Social Media, and Religious Authority in Indonesia"
November 17, 2020
- Alaina Morgan (USC) and Edward E. Curtis, IV (IUPUI)
"Race and Blackness in American Islam"
February 25, 2021
- Charles Hirschkind (UC Berkeley)
"The Feeling of History: Islam, Romanticism, and Andalusia"
March 4, 2021
- John Bowen (Wash U), with Olivier Roy (EUI, Florence) as respondent
"Proving Halal: Devices, Trust, and Networks"
March 18, 2021
- Joshua Freeman (Princeton), with Denise Ho (Yale) as respondent
"Uyghur Intellectuals Under High Maoism"
April 6, 2021
- Erin Pettigrew (NYU-Abu Dhabi), with Katherine Wiley (Pacific Lutheran) as respondent
"Sui Generis: Genealogical Claims to the Past and the Transmission of the Islamic Esoteric Sciences in Mauritania"
April 9, 2021
- Jonathan Lipman (Mount Holyoke)
"'Zhenzhu’s Deputy': Loyalty and Filiality in The Compass of Islam"
April 23, 2021
- Nathan Spannaus (Jyväskylä), with Frank Griffel (Yale) as respondent
"Islamic Epistemology and Authority in an Imperial Context: Abu Nasr Qursawi’s Critique of Taqlid"
April 29, 2021
All events during AY20-21 were hosted online.